Sunday, February 11, 2018

2017 In Review - 2018 Things to Do!




Image result for stryker vehicle
"Tell them we are coming..."

Image result for British desert rats

Seemlingly asleep, but about to awaken...

Image result for french foreign legion
March or Die!!

Wow, in January 2016 I was thrilled to pass 4,000 posts. Presently, we are at 18,000 and counting, and projects are taking shape, getting focused and moving forward well!


2017 was something of a mixed bag, with lack of direction and 1:1 Army slowing down projects and scattering energy. It was hard to focus, and some projects that are long-term love affairs were neglected for new and shiny things, which was a mistake:
  • There were 16 Posts in 2017, double that of 2016
  • The year started off with a lot of energy spent on 54mm Colonials, NW Frontier British, Indians and Pathans. Skirmish seemed the way to go, and it is cheap. I am still interested in working on the skirmish version of my rules, but there's lots of ideas and not much development at the moment.
  • Things tapered off as we went into the summer training period, with just a couple final posts on NW Frontier skirmishing.
  • As a result of 1:1 Army training, I got to thinking of a micro-armor project, which would both further my professional and personal development. I felt it would also fit well on my office table, where I do most of my gaming these days [and a lot more gaming it is since I discovered the whole "One-Hour Wargames" Movement!].
  • I bit the bullet and bought a Stryker Company and Soviet Puppet opposition, postulating a hypothetical US intervention in the Syrian Civil War.
  • There was a big lull here from July to November. But as Thanksgiving approached, I did a few playtests of Wargaming: An Introduction rules, namely the Skirmish [French Foreign Legion v. Arabs in 15mm, a long-neglected and forgotten project from the 1980s or 1990s I think] and WWII rules [desert WWII again]. I liked them both, but development of my 6d6 Medieval Rules was so successful that I knew they could be adapted well to WWII, and would be less clunky than the W:AI rules.
  • Breakthru in game design concepts led to a 6d6 WWII v.2 that is presently not on the internet, but available direct from me in a controlled playtest agreement.
  • This gave me confidence to run a big-battle game for my dearly beloved Sidi Rizegh, to which much of my 15mm force is focused: Operation Crusader.
  • That game went really well, and momentum for 6d6 WWII v.2 has been strong.
That's 2017 in Review!

Now, on to 2018! This started off with an unexpected journey to 1973's Yom Kippur War, for which I had neither figures nor interest. BUT two pals did and they asked if I'd work the WWII rules into the modern period. This involved halving the time of a turn and doubling the distance, and a bunch of other changes, also. It was a pretty wild ride, as it mostly occurred around an NTC staff trip. However, it worked well and was a great learning experience. It also forced me to ponder mechanics that would go from 1940-2020, a long time span of tech and training. Quite a challenge, but easier than doing all the periods separately, I think. 

So here's where we are now:
  1. 13 Posts in 2018 nearly equals all of 2017 - wow!
  2. Modern company-level rules for 1940-2020 are the top priority.
  3. WWII and the 2019 are the main and secondary effort [start and end of period].
  4. Hobby work must prioritize finishing my desert British [so I can have a balanced force to fight Italians], and pushing forward on my modern micro-armor [it's fun, it's easier and faster than 15mm, that's for sure].
  5. Terrain for both these projects needs to be made - fortunately, it is all middle east, so not that hard to make and I can probably double-use them despite the scale difference - IF I am clever enough.
  6. Shifting to the continent, I have a double-force of German Luftwaffe Feldkompanie ready to go, with some lovely paint jobs [if I do say so myself!] and their StuGIII's nearly done. Now, they need an opponent, and I have made zero progress on my US forces over the last several years, so I sense a bucket-load of US infantry in the works. These will HAVE to be based off the 28ID, no doubt about it!
  7. Using the same desert terrain in 15mm would be my French Foreign Legion v. Arabs, which I plan to change from Skirmish to Unit-based game, using the "Up the Blue!" rules but with more assault / melee mechanics, and of course, cavalry.
That's more than enough for now. I'm already getting my Brits on the table this Sunday, despite working on the Welsh spearmen for the medieval game next Saturday. Tally-ho!

Hope your 2018 gaming is off to a strong start and a great season!

3 comments:

  1. Mother Theresa used to say the Lord has a sense of humor and if you want to hear him laugh tell him your plans!
    I only say that because NOWHERE in my 2018 priorities (WWII and American War for Independence) were to resurrect moderns or cold war especially microarmor yet look at me! Most of the hobby work done so far has been spraypainting 1/285 tanks and APCs and almost all of my 2018 gaming has been Cold War gaming! What happened to WWII and AWI!!

    Your plans look exciting, Alex! I'm hoping to take part in some of your 2018 games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it right - I haven't succeeded in a single long-term plan, there's always something else the big G-O-D has prepared elsewhere. From 7-12th grades, my only goal in life was to teach history.

    I am just getting back into the swing of painting my neglected 15mm Desert Rats - It'll be 4 platoons of Motor Infantry, and I'm excited to stop using my Italians as subs, and preparing a painting post on them like yours. And I got a doc on present US weapon specs from the S2 today, so will be examining that for the 2020 rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds exciting! Looking forward to seeing the more modern (when I was in the Army all that was considered "ultra modern" lol) stuff in your rules.
    Teaching history would be an amazing job. I'd give anything to be able to teach history but it's simply not in the cards.

    Can't wait to see your Desert Rats as my DAK need some guys to fight. Same with your Luftwaffe Field Division troops. My Russians need guys to fight!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! t will be posted after it's moderated.