Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Bladerunner, Rezolution: Sci-fi skirmishing Project

A Dark Tomorrow... but which one?


These figs have been sitting in their boxes for a long time, nearly 20 years.  I got them at a convention [where I was flogging a game] in 2005.  Somehow, they were often thought about but I just never got around to painting and playing them, with any set of rules.

Well, for some reason, Bladerunner [the flim] and "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?] [the brilliant book by Philip K. Dick] have got me going for some ski-fi skirmish action.  That and I found "The Sketch System" RPG rules, which did in fact have "The Unofficial Bladerunner RPG" setting [CLICK], which were nicely done and quite simple to work with... just what I wanted!

I found some farm animals I had laying around for a viking project in 40mm or so - figure they'll make useful objectives in the book setting, where Philip K. Dick is constantly differentiating people from androids regarding empath, and the few carefully cared for animals that survive are part of that.


First, I tackled the mold lines. These were fine but discernable and I dislike them at all, but especially on boutique figures like these, where you really look at the figs.

I grabbed my favorite three files, round, triangular and flat...
carefully filed them off...

Then, all the figs and parts had a nice warm soapy bath to clean off the powder used to pop them from their molds.  This was a bit gunky after 18 years.
followed by a good scrubbing with an old toothbrush...

...and presto, the figs cleaned up really well!


These guys don't look easy to assemble...
but my favorite Bladerunner figure has only one arm part.

Overall, the APAC Crew is a definite choice for futuristic feel, cinematic style, and only one Hat to assemble!

The animals cleaned up pretty well - I left the sheep with its lines, mostly, as it will be a mechanical sheep!  I wonder if it dreams of electric people when it's sleeping...?

First, the Bladerunner, aka the CSO Marshal.  He arm was a bit of a pain, but I finally got the right angles and such, bending the arm a bit, smoothing one angle with a file.


Next, I temporarily stuck all the figs in slotta bases, just to use something to hold them with.
She was a bit wide in the slotta insert, had to cut the slotta down at each end.

The APAC gang is posing on the top of a very nice Infinity cardboard building - I got a bunch of these as they are perfect for Bladerunning, and quite inexpensive in general.

Ah yes, the CSO Troopers.  These guys were something of a pain in the butt.  The arms and heads take patience to fit together in a natural way, and require sanding and cutting, then trying them on the model, repeat, repeat, repeat....
The main issue is that there isn't any physical indicator as to which arms fit where and how they fit together.  The connecting points are smooth with no pegs.  The heads have a ball end at the bottom of the neck, so are easy to pose but hard to keep in a pose.

But, eventually, I got them all together. Below, they are drying at the best angle possible to keep the part from falling apart.

Hopefully, they will cure nicely over night, and any gaps remaining will be an easy fill.  Then, to priming, which unfortunately is weather dependent.

Overall, I really like these figs, which is what drew me into the game in the first place.  They were running demos at that 'con in Ohio, and it seemed to flow pretty quick and deliver on their promise of dramatic screen action.  We'll get to the rules and game later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! t will be posted after it's moderated.