Tuesday, September 20, 2022

French Foreign Legion v. Arabs Project

"Lookit that bleu...he thinks we'll all get out of this alive!"
from [CLICK]


These classic Stone Mountain 15mm figs are destined for remounting onto multi-fig bases for several games:
- A Gentleman's War, 
- One-Hour Wargames, 
- The Men Who Would Be Kings, and
- Portable Wargame
...they are still very reasonably priced, as seen at the Wargame Miniatures catalogue HERE. They are metal, but on the softer side, so one must be a bit cautious handling spear and sword points as they may bend. I admit to a touch of nostalgia as I file some of the rough bits down and lead powder is on my fingers...!

The figures are mostly "animated" for Arabs, with either 3 or several poses per bag, and "active" for Europeans but in identical pose bags [except for bugler and officer]. As the intent is to sell them as The Sword and the Flame units, they mostly come in batches of 20 foot and 12 mounted. 

Command, specialty figs, etc, are also available in smaller bags. Cavalry are usually in bags of 12, with camelry in bags of 6 [lots of lead in the camels!]. There are also purchasing options for individual figs and entire forces, identical to the old TSATF ratios.

Dealing with Wargame Miniatures was easy and certainly "service with a smile" if not fast - I'm guessing this is a side business, which is fine [should one ever be in urgent need of little lead men??]. 

Photos of many of the 15mm French and Arabs line are HERE and I have a bunch of pictures of my figures in action HERE at this blog with some terrain. I think this gives a good idea of skirmish gaming in 15mm, if not what they look like in units.

Below, is the project from a long, long time ago. I'm guessing I painted these fellows in high school, most likely. I bought a full army pack of each side, but at least one unit of 20 painted swordsmen is MIA [did I sell them or something??] as well as one unit of 20 unpainted swordsmen.  At this point, I've little hope...got replacements.
The box has most everything else from the two army deal.

Below, 20 LFA1 Advancing High Port and 20 LFA3 Standing Firing. 
Behind them [left] is 20 LFA22 Arab Infantry charging with Spears.

20 LFA20 Arabs charging with rifles, 20 LFA2 FFL Advancing at Ready, primed.

Below, 12 LFA12 FFL Cavalry, 12 LFA 30 Cavalry - Bedouin Riflemen

Below, 12 LFA 36 & 37, Arab Camelry with spears, 4 LFA40 Arab Caravan, LFA15 French Artillery [note I've fewer gunners from my army purchase], also the Mounted Colonel and Sergeant Major [on foot] who are now in LFA10 French Command.


Below, some samples, painted [excuse the painting of a high school boy, and the dust from the flocking].

Closeup of the Infantry Bugler, Infantry officer, Mtd Colonel, Sergeant Major [back]
FFL Standing, Firing, Advancing High Port, Sergeant Major [foot], Mtd Colonel

Machine Gun/ner, 75mm Cannon and crew

Below, Arab Command Mtd and Foot Shiek, a leader, charging rifleman / spearman

Obviously, this is LFA26 Arab Infantry, Assorted Arabs with swords, shields, javelins & spears
This is probably the go-to bag if you want a realistic mix of Arabs without guns. I really like them and got two bags, so 40 altogether. There is a great pose of an Arab wielding his sword 2-handed, and some leader poses.
Below, my primed but unfinished FFL2 Advancing at Ready

Thoughts on basing. To left, a 40mm square base - easily takes 6 figs.
To right, a 40mm x 30mm deep base, easily takes 4 figs.
Front view of same - I think it looks like a gaggle of savages.
Basing: as I'll be using a grid of 40mm squares for PW, the 40mm square base is my max size - definitely for Cavalry, Camelry, and the Gun. Might use it for hordes of hand weapon types. Rifle-armed will probably be on 40x30mm deep, possibly some 40x20mm deep. Will have to ponder.

While I they can remain individually mounted, I just don't see 15mm as a large enough size of figure to handle that way without bending and banging them. On larger bases, they can still fight individually as needed, just marking the losses.

Can't have an FFL theme without a Fort Zinderneuf! There are a variety of possibilities out there for terrain. Stone Mountain have resin terrain pieces, including a fort. The most affordable [and very nice] is the below by Paper Terrain from here [CLICK]:
Another great piece of work by Scott Washburn - strongly recommend and strongly tempted! I love how deep the parapets are - should be able to accommodate a 20- 30mm deep FFL base with no problem.

These are a bit Old School but clearly a generation after True Old School, but I still think they will make for a nice retro-nostalgic historical project, as after all, the figures are in fact 40 years old, and the newer ones are identical or in the same style. Looking for the right feel, if not perfect historical accuracy...

Planning to try out the AGW rules with this gang in the near future!

2 comments:

  1. I am clearly far behind on your posts. My first "proper" wargaming with metal figures was 15mm FFL (albeit vs lizard warriors) and I have long liked the Stone Mountain figures (at least the newer ones, having not looked into wargaming to 15 or so years ago - I came upon them after I had invrested in, I think, Old Glory? Maybe?). I do hope we'll see a report soon of how these figures fared on the table with the AGW rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have you drop by, John. I'm leaning into 15s=based for handling purposes and survival, while 25-54 can be individually mounted. Which game with bases? is the question! AGW, OHW, 19th C.W, PW are all possibilities.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! t will be posted after it's moderated.